Orbera Gastric Balloon is a non-surgical and non-invasive procedure. The deflated balloon is inserted orally into the stomach by the esophagus. Since it is inserted orally, there is no need for an incision. Once the Gastric Balloon is in the stomach, a syringe will be use to fill the balloon with sterile saline solution. This procedure is completed while mildly sedated and it takes from 20-30 minutes. The patient goes home the same day of the procedure to start his or her new weight loss journey.
A gastric balloon is a newer kind of weight-loss procedure. A saline-filled silicone balloon is placed in your stomach, which helps you lose weight by limiting how much you can eat. It also makes you feel fuller faster. This procedure is an option if you’re overweight or obese, and diet and exercise haven’t worked for you. Like other weight-loss procedures, a gastric balloon requires commitment to a healthier lifestyle. You need to make permanent healthy changes to your diet and get regular exercise to help ensure the long-term success of the intragastric balloon procedure.
• A deflated balloon is inserted through the mouth and down the esophagus
• The balloon is expanded in the stomach with saline water
• This causes the patient to feel full sooner while eating less and loosing weight
• The average stomach is approximately 1.5L in volume, and so the average balloon
• (filled to 650 mL) reduces the volume of the stomach by less than 50%.
The gastric balloon is not permanent. It is inserted for a period of six months and after the six months, it is carefully removed by the esophagus. Then, the aftercare program continues for the following six months to monitor and assist you with keeping the weight off.
• The gastric balloon is designed to assist with weight loss in people who ideally have 10 to 30 kilograms of weight to lose. The minimum BMI is for individuals with a BMI of 30 and greater.
• It is also used for people who are not suitable for other forms of weight loss surgery. The use of the Gastric Balloon may assist in reducing weight prior to surgery, therefore reducing the risks associated with surgical procedures on overweight patients.
Yes, there is a BMI Range from 30-40 but everybody is different this is why it is recommended to be evaluated to see if you might be a candidate for this procedure.
•The gastric Balloon is a safe and fast procedure. Therefore, there are no cuts or incisions and no dissection on the inside of your body.
• The balloon can be removed at any point in time making the procedure completely reversible. No bridges are destroyed by placing the balloon.
•On the contrary, and especially in the super obese patients, the balloon can be placed to help reduce body weight in preparation for a more invasive metabolic procedure like the gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery.
•Recovery from the gastric Balloon placement is fast and does not involve any downtime. The patient will go home the same day.
•After 6-12 months the balloon may be removed with a simple procedure.
The gastric balloon ranges from $7000- $9000. At the moment, Evolution MD is offering this procedure at a low price of $5999.
The first six month are the most important for your weight loss journey. During these six months, you will learn how to adjust to new eating habits to keep your healthy weight loss off. The most dramatic results will be seen in this period of time. For the duration of the 12 month, the patient will be in contact with the dietician and fitness specialist. The day after the procedure, the patient will come in for three consecutive follow ups. Then for the remainder of the 12 months, there will be a follow up monthly.
ORBERA Gastric Balloon has been around for more than 20 years. It is the #1 weight loss balloon worldwide and patients lose 3x the weight that they would lose with just a diet or exercise. It has also been recognized for safety and effectiveness. In more than 80 countries, there has been 220,000 gastric balloons done to improve weight loss.
Since the ORBERA Gastric Balloon is a NON-Surgical procedure, the recovery is relatively fast. It only requires four days to fully recover. Most patients are able to do everyday activities by the second day but considering all patients are not the same and do not recover toward procedures the same way, we recommend a complete recovery of four days. After the procedure, it is normal to experience vomiting and nausea. This is due to the body adjusting to this new Gastric Balloon.
The Gastric Balloon will be performed at a hospital setting in LARKIN Hospital.
The price includes the procedure itself, the labs, pre-op, follow ups during the six month of the gastric balloon, and the six months after the balloon has been removed.